Wednesday, February 24, 2016

A way-out, easy way to talk about art for intermediate-advanced students

Welcome to my wacky world!  I am a flutist.  I am also a language teacher. In addition, I have been described as quirky.  When you put these three things together, you get this activity for the language classroom.

When I was teaching English at the Université de Paris III, I was always trying to find ways to engage the students so that they were so compelled to speak that they dropped their inhibitions.  I had somehow been thinking about the great experimental composer / musician, John Cage.  You may know his famous piece, 4'33'', where the entire piece is silent.

So, one day, I took my flute into class, with a music stand and a copy of his piece, and I "performed" it.  There are three movements, but because they are all tacet (silent), I put my flute up to my mouth for a certain time.  Then, to change movements, I put it down and put it up again to signal the next movement.  At the end of the piece, I wrote this question on the board: Is this music?  Why or why not?   When I began to teach French, I just translated the question into French.



Another activity that works well is to project a picture of Marcel Duchamp's R. Mutt and to write on the board: Is this art?  Why or why not?  As a follow-up, students can create their own music or art and justify it in the target language.



Here is a link for the sheet music:
file:///Users/blipshutz/Downloads/5F0788C58DD115C8FC1CA2935553CA48.pdf
Here is a link for R. Mutt:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3456/3257727248_836bb65cf7.jpg

Bonne classe!

No comments:

Post a Comment