Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Representing...

When we teach whatever content we (or others) deem important and integral to the classroom experience, do we always think about who we represent when we teach it?  For example, when I teach a lesson on Christmas traditions in France, am I representing the many Jews and Muslims that live in l'Hexagone?  Probably not... Do I teach about Chanukah and Eid?  Perhaps.  But perhaps not.

You might say, "Well, France IS a Catholic country; after all, most of their holidays are built around the Christian calendar."  While this may be true, I am an American who teaches a language. Therefore, I do not or should not only concern myself with France.  What about Senegal (where a very large percentage of the population is Muslim)?  What about Morocco or Tunisia or Algeria, where Jews and Muslims live side by side and Christians are not the majority?  Even if there is a majority, in my opinion, it is important and crucial to teach about minorities in the countries that speak the languages we teach.  Very often the native speakers will avoid this if they are of the majority, thinking either that the minorities are not necessarily representative of their country.  As neutral parties, we can do that job and teach about the cultures and peoples that do not make the cut in the top 10 of important things to talk about.

So, beyond the obvious reason, why should I consider this important?  Well, because it also makes you think about which of your students may not see themselves in your curriculum.  Imagine a scenario all too common:


"How can I do this?  I don't even know who the minority population is."  Do some research.  Ask native speakers specifically about minority populations in major cities that may or may not be talked about.  Use the information you gain to do more research.  Then, bring it into the classroom.  Or, better yet, have your students do the research and teach you about it.

I guarantee that it will make your time so much richer.



No comments:

Post a Comment